This competition is based on realism. Any work that is abstract or non-representational will not meet the criteria and unfortunately will be disqualified. You will turn in BOTH pieces of artwork on WHITE illustration board to qualify for the competition.
Elements to concentrate on include space and form, as well as creating value with light and shadow. Most importantly, you should focus on proportion and anatomical accuracy. (Spray fixative is not permitted.)
You must work in color and may use any medium with the exception of oil paint. You do not have to represent the entire still life, but you must include at least three objects that are positioned next to each other in the still life composition. (Spray fixative is not permitted.)
Elements to concentrate on include color theory, perspective, form, accuracy and proportion, as well as creating value with light and shadow.
RULES FOR THE 2016 SENIOR SCHOLARSHIP COMPETITION
1) Participants must be high school seniors graduating in the academic year 2016-2017.
2) Participants must draw from a live model in costume using charcoal or pencil. The full figure is to be completed in black and white
on a 15” x 20” white illustration board, cold press surface.
3) Participants must draw a still life in color using any medium, with the exception of oil paint, on a 15” x 20”
white illustration board, cold press surface.
4) You must attend both the life drawing and still life sessions. You will turn in both pieces the day of the event.
5) No marks of identification are to appear on the front of the artwork. However, the participant’s name, address, telephone number, and high school must be printed on the back of each piece in the upper right corner.
6) The drawings will be judged by the American Academy of Art’s faculty. Criteria for judging
will be based on fundamental skill.
7) Participants are limited to one entry per student.
8) Awards are for full-time programs.
Award announcements will be made in January 2017.
Scholarship winners must enroll no later than Monday, May 1, 2017
and must begin their studies during the Fall 2017 academic term.
All admission procedures and requirements apply to scholarship recipients,
No cash awards will be granted.
Participants must claim their artwork by Friday, March 17, 2017.